Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Yarn Along: Inspiration Galore

 These past two weeks have been so full of inspiration for me. I'm reading (Ross Poldark, The Yarn Whisperer, Women in Clothes, Motherhood and Creativity), knitting, sewing, contemplating, and writing.  In fact, I had to pull out a notebook to contain it all.  It's mostly scribblings about my stash.  I'm starting there--listing everything on Ravelry, using the yarn itself as a starting point for future projects.
Socks have been fascinating me in particular.  My queue has grown as a result and a few coveted skeins have found their way into my mailbox.
A lot of this daydreaming is because my actual works in progress are very fixed. The baptismal gown has stalled out just past the waist and Peter's sock is chugging along in its stead.  Last week I careened through this pair of tube socks for Sebastian, after I realized his birthday is fast approaching. I was going to say something disparaging about giving socks as a gift, but never mind. Wooly handmade ones are better than anything. I really had to resist the urge to slip them on his feet as soon as they were done. I wrapped them up already to avoid the temptation entirely. Now that it's 80 degrees again I think they're safe. 
I've also been considering my languishing projects, like this long-abandoned crocheted hexagon blanket.  A post on Instagram compelled me to pull it out and consider it again.
There is definitely potential here, but it will take some time before I can access all of my latent crochet skills.
I pulled out lots of my sewing supplies too.  Am I making your head spin yet?  I sorted through everything I'll need to complete my mostly-finished Alabama Chanin maxi skirt in a delicious cocoa jersey.  Then, after realizing Lucy had suddenly outgrown her skirts, I cut out three for her in the next size up.  I used the remnants from the last batch and a length of salvaged wool plaid given to me by a friend.
  
At some point during these last few weeks, I got super excited about appliquéing flowers on some of my boring striped shirts.  I've done two for myself and plan to add some embellishments to Lucy's secondhand Hannah Andersson dresses.
 In fact, I've been considering resurrecting my neglected Etsy shop with a few versions of these flowers.  Any pointers would be so appreciated!

20 comments:

Andrea @ This Knitted Life said...

Wow. So many great projects! Most impressive, tube socks look fun.

willfulmina said...

It's a great little pattern. They fit both my 1 year old and 3 year old easily, and probably will for several years. Surprisingly practical!

Donna said...

Just writing all the things down that inspire me is helpful to my brain. It looks like you are having some creative weeks. Enjoy!

Pom Pom said...

Wow! The birthday socks are SO cool! I love them!
This is my first Yarn Along.
I'm so encouraged by all of the participants and their bookish/yarny shares!

Juliana said...

I love all these projects--you are inspiring me too! I keep a little notebook with ideas and sketches and printouts of images I like. I find it helpful as a resource, and just something to refer back to when I'm thinking, now what did I intend that x-yarn or y-fabric for??

I'm getting ready to change over to fall for Project 333 and I need to get at least one of my knitting projects off needles so I can wear it! (Well, once the weather decides to get its act together and behave for fall) :)

kathy b said...

I love applique.If I could learn one sewing technique it would be that. Hmmmmm
now I'm thinking....YOurs look amazing and simple and do able

Natalie said...

Wow. so many projects! I love the crochet blanket. I currently only have two projects on the needles, but I need to get a few others done more urgently for birthdays and gifts so I'm considering casting on everything at once. I love the little applique flowers.

elizabeth said...

very nice! are you thinking of making a pillow with the granny squares? would be so pretty... what a lot of inspiration! yay!

Zauberflink said...

I love all your projects :-) and I can totally relate to your daydreaming and filling a notebook with ideas! I wish I had more time for all my ideas to come into life - maybe once I'm a grandma ;-)

Elise said...

Gorgeous socks! And I love your stash, lots of pretty yarn! :)

Lucy Bowen said...

Gorgeous projects - I love the socks particularly.

willfulmina said...

Yes, it was such a relief to put pen to paper. I haven't felt that way since I was an angsty teenager!

willfulmina said...

Yay, welcome! Those socks were super compelling, thanks to the stripes.

willfulmina said...

Yes, a big part of this push for me is the slow fashion October that Karen of the Fringe Association is starting as a knitter's version of me made may. We all need some fall duds!

willfulmina said...

It's ridiculously easy! If you don't mind improvising, just get a few thrifted shirts and try something simple. I just use jersey and embroidery floss.

willfulmina said...

Sometimes I like to just focus on one or two until they are completed. My goal is to have one main project per craft--best of both worlds.

willfulmina said...

Yes, if I can figure it out. I might pick up a basic pillow case and attach them to the front somehow. We shall see!

willfulmina said...

Yes, I guess too many good ideas is a great problem to have!

willfulmina said...

Thanks! And that's just the sock yarn, if you can believe it!

willfulmina said...

Thank you! I have an extra ball of the yarn. I wonder if there would be any interest in a giveaway. It wouldn't be enough for an adult's pair. What do you think?