This recipe is my mother's. Ever since she made it for us last week when we visited New Jersey, I can't get enough. It tastes like spring. I've made it twice already and we eat it hot or cold. It really lends itself to customization. Use whatever vegetables you have on hand. I usually replace the zucchini with an extra pepper.
Orzo with Roasted Vegetables
1 ½ cups fresh mushrooms, halved
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
1 small red onion, cut into wedges
1 cup fresh asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
½ teaspoon salt
1 ¼ cups uncooked orzo
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Place vegetables in a bowl and toss with oil and seasonings.
- Put vegetables onto a cookie sheet or 15”x10” glass pan coated with oil.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally
- Meanwhile, cook orzo according to package directions (usually boil for 9 minutes).
- Drain, transfer to a serving bowl, and combine with roasted vegetables.