Friday, December 31, 2010

Sonnet

Last night, I boasted that I could write Pete a poem any time I wanted to. He demanded one instantaneously, and "not a limerick or haiku either. A real poem, like a sonnet." So I obliged. I stole from Shakespeare a lot, but who doesn't? He's pretty much fair game at this point. William, think of it as a remix, okay?

Oh dear. I've just remembered what Elizabeth Bennet says about sonnets in Pride and Prejudice:

"I wonder who first discovered the efficacy of poetry in driving away love!"

"I have been used to consider poetry as the FOOD of love," said Darcy.

"Of a fine, stout, healthy love it may. Everything nourishes what is strong already. But if it be only a slight, thin sort of inclination, I am convinced that one good sonnet will starve it entirely away."

Oh, what have I done????


PS Yep, I've been rewatching it. You should too!

No comments: