Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Yarn Along: The Secret Garden

When I was a little girl, a family friend took me to Papermill Playhouse's rendition of The Secret Garden.  I remember it vividly.  The music is so beautiful and timeless.  A few days ago I rediscovered it and have been playing it over and over ever since.  Maybe it's because I've been outside so much in the past few days. 
Last night, while Pete and I did the dishes, I told him the entire plot of the story.  I remembered it from a book on tape I borrowed from the library as a kid.  That made me crave rereading it, so I snatched up this gorgeous copy my friend gave me as a gift.
It's even more delightful than I imagined!  There are all manner of interesting full-color illustrations throughout.  The introduction alone is a treasure trove of information on Frances Hodgson Burnett.  She wrote scads of books, and this one was not as popular as the others during her lifetime, but it is the only one that has stood the test of time.  
At one point in her life, she lived in a house with a walled garden just like the one in the book.  She used it as an outdoor study, where she would write her stories. She even had a tame robin to keep her company.  In honor of her, I've been knitting this red hat entirely outdoors.  
In case you want an instant fix, someone uploaded the entire 1993 movie onto youtube!
Join our Yarn Along at small things!

2 comments:

Michaela said...

Burnett wrote a book I ADORE called The Lost Prince.

No one has ever heard of it, but you should read it! I don't know why, but something in me about wanting to be a boy and other nonsense like that just loves it. And the friendship is touching. And in general, it is very fun.

Lori ann said...

pretty red wool, and i've always loved the secret garden too. this was fun, thank you for sharing.