Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Yarn Along: Back on the Horse

Oh, yarn alongers...

To the untrained eye, it would appear that I have not made a bit of progress on Pete's Sweater.

But clever you must be able to tell that in the past week, there has been lots of knitting, binding off, pinning, and rejoicing.  After that came a disastrous fitting, cursing/crying, and reluctant frogging, followed closely by ice creaming, and begrudged reknitting.
After adding 3 inches to the body, I am precisely back to where I started last Wednesday, which is both reassuring and maddening.  At least The (aptly named) Help has been a comfort through it all.  I'm also reading Bringing up Bebe and An Everlasting Meal.

I will leave you with a quote from a desperately cold husband who was trying (in vain) to encourage his defeated wife to pick up the shunned bits of sweater and carry on knitting:

"Maybe the sweater curse works in reverse once you get married.  Maybe if you don't make me a sweater, we will wind up divorced."

Now that I type it out, it sounds vaguely threatening.  At least I know he wants this sweater badly.

16 comments:

Tracey ~ Clover said...

Oh dear, it is such a bummer to backwards knit, but glad you kept at it and are back on track.
Love the photo and your husband's humor!

tess said...

Oh no! I think we can all relate to that - you'll be happy in the end that you went back to fix it, I'm sure! Good luck - can't wait to see how it turns out!

steph said...

Ice cream helps most anything, doesn't it???? At least you are back to where you were last week.....forge on!!! It will be the MOST appreciated gift!!!

karen said...

NOOOO! The dreaded frogging :( I do like your husband's sense of humor and god forbid there is divorce over a sweater/nonsweater!! Good luck this week :)

Anonymous said...

Awww! Hang in there.

My husband has refused a sweater knit by me so far. Be thankful that your hubby WANTS his sweater. ;-)

elizabeth said...

Keep at it!!! It WILL be a wonderful sweater! Mr. Husband and I had ice cream with organic blue berries yesterday night after eating warm grilled cheese sandwiches... blessings on your day!

Christine N said...

I know how you feel but I have to admit your writing style and storytelling has me giggling. Thank you for the early morning laugh! Husband sweaters can be a bear since they are generally bigger than anyone else's! Good luck!

Crunchy Momma said...

Oh I do love that picture!! Sorry about all the frogging but I find it therapeutic after the fact. First time visiting your blog : ) Tricia @ CrunchyCatholicMomma.blogspot

Eileen said...

oh how I understand your frustration, I am working n a sweater that seems I need to knit twice due to all the frogging going on. I just keep chanting---I will finish this- I will finish this. Good luck ;o)

momto5 said...

oh no! that sucks about the sweater, and yet your post is very funny! lol fingers crossed it fits this time around.

Erin said...

I'm so sorry your knitting attacked you like that! Im a big fan of putting disobedient projects in a bag and shoving them into the closet for a :time-out" for a few days. :)

Sava said...

Ha! That divorce comment remember me of something that happened to me yesterday.

I've been working on a sweater for the boyfriend for a while now and yesterday while instant messaging he found that I was playing video games instead of knitting.

He responded by saying he was shivering because his sweater wasn't finished!

And I thought he didn't care about my knitting :P

Lori ann said...

Haha, love this! Good luck finishing, your almost there!

kerri.warmus said...

You have a gift for making your readers giggle. Thanks for that, and good luck with the sweater. I use ice-cream therapy once a month, whether I need it or not (turns out, I ALWAYS need it!)

Unknown said...

I very much dislike frogging, but every single time I've frogged, I've been happy with the final results.

Becky Elmuccio said...

Love the "ice creaming" as part of the process! Good luck with the sweater.