Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Yarn Along: Knotty Knitting

My knitting hasn't been very well-behaved lately.  I've got my heart set on bringing this baby home from the hospital in a wee envelope, a very clever pattern constructed rather unusually.  I completely understand how to make it, but my fingers have betrayed me twice.  I'll unabashedly blame it on pregnancy brain.  So I've frogged back and am resolutely plunging ahead yet again.  

The yarn is delicious--a chocolate tweedy blend of alpaca and yak that is completely decadent, with its bits of sari silk.  It is just what tweed ought to be.  And just saying the name--yakapaca--makes me happy.  I'm knitting it quite densely and hoping that will help make the finished sweater a bit more practical--well, as practical as a newborn tweedy pullover can be.  And it certainly makes the reknitting slightly less arduous, though the yarn is beginning to show signs of fatigue in that particular spot.

I've also been slogging away at A Dance with Dragons lately.  I have both the audiobook and the ebook versions, which helps somewhat.  I've also just picked up a set of headphones so that I can listen and knit before bed.  Pete is usually reading some theological book and I don't like to disturb him with my lowbrow selection.
Have you heard of this newfangled whispersync technology?  If you buy both the Kindle and Audible versions of a book, you can use them interchangeably and it will update each version so you never have to hunt for where you left off again.  I haven't tried it yet because I have a nook, but it seems like witchcraft to me.  I am forever scrolling or fast-forwarding.  It would be so amazing to make it all automatic.  Maybe one day it will be a more universal feature and include library ebooks, no matter what the format.

2 comments:

MamaBirdEmma said...

I can't wait to see that little sweater on my new nephew!

elizabeth said...

oh nice! that looks like a very cute pattern! May your hands not betray you again in this! <3 Great idea on the headphones... :))))