Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Yarn Along: Spinning Away



This week has flown by.  We spent it visiting my sister Emily and her family. I lugged my Louet S-10 spinning wheel down, hoping I'd have a little time to tune it up and finish the last batch of singles I had started on it.  


I have been saving up to buy a new wheel for quite some time. When my sister's favorite local yarn shop closed, the owner put a Schact Ladybug floor model up for sale. We were so sad to lose that shop, but I loved the thought of having a piece of it to keep.  I arranged to pick it up on this trip, and leave behind the S-10 for Sugar Plum to learn on. 

I hopped out of bed early this morning to finish plying this yarn--which will be forever linked in my mind with our trip. The colors couldn't be a better match--both for each other and our surroundings.   I spun up two different colorways of BFL/silk (Mukhina and Bigger on the Inside) of Into the Whirled roving that I bought at Rhinebeck 2013, so it is a culmination of lots of happy moments.  A good farewell to my first wheel, which I first used a year ago in this very house.

I haven't had a chance to read much this week, but we've talked a lot about books.  I'm excited to read a few that my sister recommended.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

such a pretty spot for spinning! And a great memory to keep!!

Christine N said...

Beautiful! I just bought a giant skein of yarn with those colors.

mamasmercantile said...

Beautiful colours.

fjord girl said...

How do you like your spinning wheel? I have a Maja craft Aura- that is well loved. Beautiful color way on your yarn.

Donna said...

I have an S-10 that I use mostly for plying. It's such a durable wheel. I use my Lendrum and Roadbug mostly for spinning. I have heard great things about the Ladybug. May you have many happy spins with her!

Holly Hollyson @ Full of Beans and Sausages said...

I really want to spin my own yarn. How did you learn?

elizabeth said...

how nice!!! :))) happy for you!

Reinventing Mother said...

I am hoping to get a wheel for Christmas!

willfulmina said...

I loved the S-10 and learned so much from it!

willfulmina said...

The bobbins are so huge! I'll definitely miss that about the S-10.

willfulmina said...

I tried books, DVDs, etc. but the best resource has been actual spinners. Do you have a guild in your area? Knitters and spinners are so eager to share their fibery knowledge.

willfulmina said...

Exciting!