Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Yarn Along: pickled beets

I'm happily listening away to Middlemarch, which means this giant tome is going by surprisingly quickly.  I'm on Chapter 20...out of 86.  Never mind.
At least my knitting is flying by.  My Kate Davies mashup sweater was completed in only 10 days from start to finish.  
This was my first real color work, so there was definitely a learning curve, but toward the end it had a wonderful rhythm to it.  I instantly started planning on a second version, with the colors inverted, for my daughter.

Unbelievably, this one fits both Lucy, who wears size 3T, and Sebastian, who wears 6-12 month clothing.  Lucy insists it is the baby's sweater, though, and then goes to get one of her too-small cardigans to wear instead.  
Seeing how shabby they are has made me want to concentrate on her new cardigan before I start any more sweaters.  I'm nearly done with the first sleeve.  It feels good to go back to this luscious color after so much grey.
This color no longer reminds me of raspberries, but rather pickled beets. She loves them more anyway. Let's hope this yarn is better at hiding the stains than her other handknits have been.


17 comments:

Heather said...

10 days! That is impressive! I have a hard time with all the greys, but for some reason I am always knitting my little guy grey and then navy. That pink is lovely!

Zauberflink said...

Wow, you are a machine ;-)
The sweater is beautiful!
Isn't it just great for how long they fit? I've got a few generous baby cardigans my daughter used to wear from 12 months till 3 years.

willfulmina said...

It really makes the investment worth it. I love how the yokes just stretch to accommodate any size. My kids seem to outgrow the more structured sweaters faster.

willfulmina said...

You can't beat grey for matching everything, but sometimes I throw caution to the wind and just pick a crazy impossible-to-match color that's fun to knit. After this winter, I really needed it!

karen said...

beautiful sweater and isn't it amazing how it fits both children? I love the yoke design. Have fun listening to your tome.

Laura said...

That looks awesome, and I love the colour of the pickled beets cardigan! Sounds like they're going to get a lot of wear out of everything you make :)

Donna said...

My knitting is going much faster than my reading as well. The sweater I just finished was color work too and there is definitely a learning curve. It's meditating isn't it? I just love how yours came out.

elizabeth said...

very fun! your kids are super cute as always; that sweater for S. is so very cute. :) looking forward to seeing that cardigan, I can understand why you need some colour to work with!!! and the idea of doing another sweater with inverted colours for L. sounds super cute!

Lilly's Mom said...

Your color way sweater is so cute. You did a great job! I'm excited to see your new project.

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful colour! :) You're right— it is beets precisely. And are those little sheepies?

fjord girl said...

That is the cutest and tiniest little sheep sweater I have seen :)

Sam Findlay said...

Love the sheep sweater it's so cute! Well done on the colour work, I'm just doing my first bit of intarsia!

Rosemary said...

Adorable sweater, adorable babies. :)

CathieJ said...

I don't think I will ever be able to finish a sweater in just 10 days. It is so adorable as are the children.

Laura Smith said...

What a sweet little sheepy sweater! Perfect color choice as well.

karisma said...

Gorgeous sweater! And gorgeous babies too! :-)

pippasmum said...

Your sweater is absolutely gorgeous! I love knitting for my kidlets but I can't get them to wear sweaters. I've found a hat pattern that they like,anyway, and it lets me work with some nice colours.
I haven't done much colour work - you are inspiring me to try again!