Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Today is my nameday, so I woke up early and went to Liturgy at the monastery with Pete.  In the past, I've only been able to receive communion when it falls on a Sunday.  Living next door to monks comes in handy sometimes...
Pete gave me this little booklet last night as an early present.  I want to read the whole thing today.  It begins with her life, which by now I'm quite familiar with, but I always seem to find something new to focus on whenever I read it again. 
I also dug out this beautiful children's book I have about her life.  I bought it at the Saint Herman's Conference years ago.  I remember agonizing over whether or not I should spend the money, as I was an impoverished college senior and buying children's books was not exactly a priority.  I just had to have it though.  
It was written by a husband and wife, Dionysios and Egle-Ekaterine Potamitis.  Egle-Ekaterine illustrated it in a beautiful iconographic style that's unlike any other I've seen.  Yet while the illustrations are stunning throughout, I was also really impressed with the rich and detailed text.  It includes every facet of Saint Katharine's life.  Apparently they've done a number of other books, including the life of St. Christopher, the life of St. Dionysios, and a prayer book.  They all come in either English or Greek.   
And in honor of the Wednesday yarn along, here is my current knitting--a baby bootie.  Just a few more days until I'm a full 5 months along!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Well, for heaven's sake! How did I miss the fact that you're Orthodox all this time?! So am I! I'm OCA. Many years on your name day!
JNCL
The Beauty of Eclecticism

Tonya Gunn said...

Congratulations on your upcoming birth.

Lori ann said...

what a darling photo of you and your baby on the way. congratulations!