Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Knit Along: Soakers!

I am in serious nesting mode.  Only 10 more weeks until Stormy shows up!  Now, while other mamas might use this time for childproofing or spring cleaning, I am focused on the essentials--creating as many handmade baby items as I can.  I made a list of a few must-have items and am churning them out at top speed.  I've become a soaker-making machine.  I've nearly finished a seaweed green one made from some Manos del Uruguay Classica that's been in my stash far too long.
I knit it up on our trip to Philadelphia this past weekend for the Two Paths Diverged at the Wood Concert, which Pete participated in.  Knitting definitely calmed me down when he broke out the sheet music and drove with his pinkies.
I just have to finish up the ribbing on the leg holes--the work of a moment.
 While Pete practiced with the choir, I spent a lot of time with friends I haven't seen in far too long.  On Sunday, a few of us went to Loop, a pristine yarn store right next to Spool, a little fabric shop.  Needless to say, I used Stormy as an excuse to enhance the fabric/fiber stashes.  I found some beautiful fabric to make a pair of Quick-Change Trousers from Anna Maria Horner's book Handmade Beginnings,
and a copy of Lotta Jansdotter's book Simple Sewing for Baby.  I've been poring over both of those books ever since I got them.
My friends helped me pick out two skeins of Noro Kureyon for a striped soaker at Loop.  Best of all, I got a discount--$5 off!
If you've ever striped two different colorways of Noro, you know how addictive it can be.  Laundry may pile up, dinner can burn, but I just need to finish one more stripe.

3 comments:

Martha said...

I ♥ the Noro yarn. So are these soakers something you'd put over a cloth diaper? The look cute.

Ellen said...

I had to laugh at your last comment - yes laundry and burnt dinner - all because of finishing one more row (or round)...that happens here too.

Lori ann said...

the best knitting i do believe, the waiting for baby knitting. love your little soaker, and oh noro!