Tuesday, February 10, 2015

hemming and hoarding

This article, "The Stuff Paradox: Dealing with clutter in the US," was interesting in light of my recent fascination with Marie Kondo's book.  It got me thinking about a few of my habits.

So much of what cluttered up my house was absolutely free or wildly inexpensive.  The towels I mentioned were hand-me-downs. The shoes I rescued from my sister's cast-off pile (that were half a size too small!) didn't cost me a cent. Something in me didn't want to see these things get wasted, so I rescued them. Never mind that they could have been put to better use elsewhere. I stockpiled them anyway.

In my experience, free or cheap items pile up quickly.  If I am committing my own money, I am more discerning.  I have gotten better about delaying the purchase until I find something worthwhile.  But I have a hard time saying no to hand-me-downs.  Likewise, I used to feel this pressure to find a home for anything I got rid of.  It would stay in my house until I thought of someone who might be able to put it to use somehow.  Now, as I declutter, I want to be mindful of that tendency.  I don't want to pass on my clutter to others anymore before ascertaining if they really could use it or actually want it.  The charity this article mentions, A Wider Circle, sounds like a great solution.

This is just the reminder I needed to jump back in to my tidying.  Tomorrow I will share my strategy for tackling paper.

1 comment:

elizabeth said...

I can see that; it's also an issue of time; we have bags of clothes we are meaning to give to a place that shelters woman in our area but have not gotten to it yet; just so many other pressings things to be done....

I am slowly going through things that I need to let go (mainly things that no longer fit) but some things (like books) have to wait till I have more time; we have our 'not as important to us' books in our living room (where most light damage could happen) and I am slowly weeding.

But it really takes time and also patience I find! :)