Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Yarn Along: yakapaca

I'm reading Knitting Yarns: Writers on Knitting, edited by Ann Hood, and steadily working away on Lucy's raspberry cardigan.
Inspired by my sister, I cast on an Audrey hat as part of the Fringe Hatalong.  I'm using a sumptuous tweed yarn I obtained at the CNY Fiber Festival a couple of years ago.  It's a blend of alpaca, yak, and sari silk, aptly called yakapaca.  I've been saving this yarn for something truly special, when I really ought to just enjoy it now.  I started the hat on our anniversary, which makes it all the more festive.  I want to be sure the yarn won't melt into a puddle, as alpaca is wont to do, so I knit the ribbing on size 4 needles, at a painfully tight gauge.
Unfortunately, the beautiful chevron pattern that truly makes this hat special does not show up in this buttery yarn, so I frogged back and am just knitting the body of the hat in plain stockinette.  There is a small chance I will ultimately decide this yarn would be better suited to a different pattern after all, but at least I was brave enough to crack into a prized skein and just start knitting away!

4 comments:

Anke said...

Great color for the cardigan!

MamaBirdEmma said...

Boo. I'm sorry that the hat pattern didn't work. Glad that you're reading that book. It was good.

Donna said...

Just keep on trying - you will find the perfect project for that special skein if you decide this isn't working. It really is pretty.

elizabeth said...

that cardigan is going to be so cute! I know you will find the right pattern for that skein! good for you for beginning to use prized skeins of yarn, this is really good!