Monday, March 21, 2011

Grammar matters, people.

Something Pete just said reminded me of this gem:
A Conversation

Me: Pete, can we finally watch every existing episode of Doctor Who together?

Pete: Well, I can't promise I'll get into it, but I'll watch it with you.

Me: So if you don't like it, you'll still sit through every episode with me? Or will you say, "To hell with this, woman!"

Pete: I'll say, "To hell with this woman!"

Me: I didn't hear a pause there. Do you mean you'll abandon me or the show? That's a pretty essential comma...

Pete: Of course I meant, "To hell with this show COMMA woman." I'm surprised you couldn't hear it.

Me: I'm going to blog about this.

AND SO WE COME FULL CIRCLE! DONE!

1 comment:

Michaela said...

Wait wait wait... so he is not going to watch it???

I wish I could come up with some clever retort about men, using commas. Or about men using commas. But it's late. And the baby cried all day. And such divisive gender-based retorts are completely tasteless!

So: what a wonderful husband you have, and how stealthily he uses his commas!