Saturday, March 10, 2012

New Traditions

Since so many people seem to give up watching movies during Lent, we've been brainstorming different activities for our Friday night get-togethers with the seminarians.  A few days ago we all agreed on the perfect way to pass our time.

At 7:30, they all trouped in out of the snow, just in time to help me finish up a giant batch of brownies from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar.  (I quadrupled the espresso fudge brownie recipe.  And by I, I mean Pete, because that math was baffling my pregnant brain...)  If you've never cooked with a giant group of guys in the room, you need to give it a try.  They stir for you, snatch dirty bowls and wash them before you can protest, and then insist you take all the credit for the finished dessert.

After the brownies went in the oven, we settled down around the kitchen table and began.  We'd decided to read The Princess and the Goblin, by George MacDonald.  Each read a chapter aloud, and as the book made its way around the room, I finished up the little cardigan I've been working on for Stormy.  After chapter nine, we stopped, and read evening prayers together before they all ventured back into the cold.
I must admit, I like this model better than the old one...

No comments: