Thursday, March 22, 2012

Yarn Along: Persuasion

When my friend recommended the 1995 version of Persuasion, I immediately put it at the top of the netflix queue.  Though I read it long ago, the only film version I've ever seen was the 2007 one, a massive disappointment.  (This clip conveys everything that is wrong with this version--creepy heavy breathing, undignified extensive running sequences, weird eye contact with the camera, and the most repulsive kiss ever recorded.)
Thankfully the 1995 one is infinitely superior in every way.  I watched it straight through, then started it over again so Pete could watch it with me.  In the end, he declared that it, "was not the most compelling Jane Austen ever," but I think he found it tolerable.
As if that weren't enough, I immediately snatched the book off my shelf and started rereading.  I wanted to check a couple of details I was unsure about.  It turns out it is just the thing for my last few weeks of pregnancy.  Something familiar and lovely to pick up before I go to bed, rather than all the books about babies that are piled up on my nightstand.  I find it soothes me to sleep and keeps me from having a bit of an irrational eleventh-hour panic about what's ahead of me.
I'm knitting up a little striped kicking bag in the meantime, though truth be told, it is getting unseasonably warm around here.  Yesterday it was 90!  I declared to Pete with a sigh that knitting season was nearing its close, as much as it pained me to admit it.  He was understandably alarmed, but I assured him that sewing would fill up the summer nicely.  His relief was palpable.

5 comments:

Michaela said...

Isn't that heavy breathing just odd? I mean, of course, running would make one… especially in those clothes… but still. the whole thing is very awkward.

p.s. I just received a beautiful book - you'll have to look it up! It is called "Extra Yarn" and is delightful!

Natalie said...

Oh, your last paragraph actually did make me chuckle out loud.
The kicking back is looking quite nice...I just love grey stripes...and I love love love grey on babies.

Anonymous said...

I think this post may be one of my favorites... :D

Love,

PB

Catherine said...

I love knitty kicking bags, especially striped ones! I love your colors.

willfulmina said...

I love that book, Michaela! I took a trip to Barnes and Noble to track it down after reading so much about it on every blog EVER. It's definitely worth the money, I just didn't have any! I'll get it soon though!