Monday, May 4, 2015

May 4

Yet another Alabama skirt--this time a mid-length version from the third book.  This skirt represents a turning point for me.  I finally took the plunge and bought one yard of this organic cotton jersey on a trip to A Verb for Keeping Warm.  Since it seemed so expensive to me, I was determined to eek out as much as I could from it.  As a result, the length is a bit awkward and could stand to lose a couple of inches.  I also made the mistake of attempting to economize on the elastic ribbon and lining.  I found cheap elastic at Hobby Lobby, meant for making cloth diapers.  It has not aged gracefully.  I've often thought about getting a length of better quality grosgrain elastic ribbon and redoing it.  If I ever do, I would also scrap the $2/yard polyester jersey I used to line it.  Since making this skirt, I have realized that the initial expense for better materials is more than worth it, since they can stand the test of time and truly do justice to the amount of work involved with hand stitching.
Lucy still wears her ratty tiny tea leaves sweater, which I knit over two years ago.  The proportions have always been out of whack, but she keeps reaching for it.  I have learned a lot about making a successful, long-lasting top-down sweater since then.  Another simple bib kept Sebastian in the running today.  Any ideas for other items I can whip up for my boy?

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

so cute... :) yes materials and quality are important... to do together... I am excited for my future sewing and you inspire me! :)

MamaBirdEmma said...

I love the color of that skirt!