Tuesday, May 5, 2015

May 5

Here I am 3 years ago with a baby Lucy, stitching away on the skirt I decided to wear today.
Since then, I've added some stenciling (June's Spring) in black to the bottom.  I finished it up just last week, after it sat for months untouched with only one or two more panels left to paint.  After heat curing the paint, I threw it in the wash without thinking.  Only after it was already too late did I remember that the books advise waiting at least 2 weeks after painting before washing.  As a result, the more recent panels have faded badly.  I plan to add appliqué and beading to give it dimension and blend in the inconsistency.
 It was definitely a challenge to stencil on an existing garment.  In future, I think I'll stick to doing that before a garment is assembled or not at all.  Since I can only use the airbrush tool outdoors, I'd like to think a few projects ahead and get some stenciling done this summer.
 Lucy's wearing another patch job and Sebastian's sporting upcycled leggings again.
I'd love to come up with a slightly more grownup version of this flower appliqué for something of mine.  One of my white shirts recently succumbed to a stubborn ketchup stain.  I'm mulling over just how to save it....

2 comments:

MamaBirdEmma said...

♡ I hope Me Made May never ends. I love these daily posts!

elizabeth said...

Agree with MBEmma!! love these posts!!! oh, do let us know what you come up with for the white shirt. That is such a good idea...